Wednesday, July 03, 2013

4th of July

Many moons ago, before I became a girl with a stroked out and now dead mother (I know, but keep going, it's for effect.), I loved the 4th of July.

The 4th used to be my favorite holiday. It's a holiday of friends, there are no have-to's, no family dinners, no gifts, nothing you're supposed to do. And it's summer and fireworks and lightening bugs. I have memories of the 4th and I have memories of nothing. But I remember being a kid and sparklers and fireworks nights and the whole thing an it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Also, I'm a pretty patriotic girl. I don't scream it aloud too much,  I'm not a big fan of people getting on my case about it, but America rules. The more traveling I do, the more I'm reminded. I'm a big fan of America, even with all our troubles.

So the 4th was my holiday.

It was not my mom's favorite holiday. So the 4th for the past 8 years has been rough. I would get up early and ride my bike to mom's - so I could have the whole day in front of me. Mom was always pissy and it was always like 10:30 when I left. So I knew she'd have the whole day there, by herself, on what she said was a holiday she hated, although, all those great memories from childhood -  I think she loved it.

So it was a sad day for me. Full of pressure for John (WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING FUN TO COUNTERACT MOM) and me and I felt guilty all day long for mom and it just...it turned into kind of a no-fun holiday.

I AM TAKING THE 4th BACK.

I still love it. I still get patriotic. I still love summer and fireworks and friends.

I am reclaiming the 4th of July.

I have the day off tomorrow, no tours - we have friends coming over tomorrow night and then we're headed to a park by our house that gets BANANAS on the 4th. It's crazy.

It's gonna be a great, fun and casual, relaxing day.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments: