Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Not much to tell....

I'm in the middle of the maybe the biggest creative endeavor of my life.

So I am extremely boring.

I think about the book all day long, every day. Free minutes are spent writing or thinking about it or talking to people about it, or thinking about it some more.

I have successfully closed off the month of February to almost everything else - social engagements, business work, trips to see my damn mom....

And it's going well, it really is. I'm happy with the work I've done so far and I think this book is going to be a really fun read. I would read it!

Yesterday I went to the memorial for Joyce Sloan, den mother of Second City. SC has been around for 51 years, Joyce was there for 50 of them. Watching improvisers and funny people be touching and sad and thoughtful was amazing. I'm so proud to be a part of this community that even on a day of mourning and grief was filled with laughter. She was an amazing woman and she helped create exactly what I love about this community.

I had to make a choice, to stay and help my friend Sabrina get through the hard times there, to stay and talk and chat about memories and stories and people...

But I left, I left to come home and write. Inspired by Joyce and the community, I ran out of Second City and wrote for about 3 hours, and it was probably the best writing jag I've had since I started.

Inspiration.

No comments: