Saturday, October 02, 2010

Priorities

Last night Sabrina and I went to go see Chris Guillebeau talk about his new book. It was very cool to see him again, you know now that he and I are best friends and all. It was neat though, he recognized me right away and I just remembered how neat it was to meet him.

So we're listening to him talk about how you don't have to live the life everyone expects of you and how hard it is to break out of the rut we have been conditioned to be in (I just finished reading A Brave New World and wow...talk about conditioning, yeesh)and then he opens up the table for questions.

I asked him about priorities. See, I have so many things on my brain, so many projects I want to start and do, and I'm having a hard time focusing on what's the most important or what comes next or which thing I should let go of because there's just not enough time. So I said "How do you do it? You have this goal to visit every country on earth, but now you're doing this book tour and going to every single state, how do you decide what thing you're going to do and what thing you're not?"

And his every awesome wisdom he said "I don't choose. I do them all."

Um...yay! Okay! Well that makes sense to me. Why close something off? I mean, granted, there's only so much time in a day, but even mentally, to not close yourself off to something you want to do - to leave it out in the open and you'll get to it when you get to it, just neat.

Anyway, I've been thinking about that this morning.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a tiny, tiny nose ring. Those almost imperceptible ones, a little diamond or something...what do you think?

3 comments:

Erica said...

YES YES YES get the nose ring it will be so hot.

My sis-in-law felt the same way last year--she knew she wanted one but had been putting it off and finally she was like "Why not?" and she loves it. It is a personal expression.

I am getting a new tattoo tomorrow. It is going to be very visable and very pretty. I've not told many people about it because I am doing it cause I want to, and I was even wondering about how I would tell my mom. I know she won't love it, but I will love it, so my thought is to say "What's the harm in it?" There is none. We so often hold back on things because people don't expect us to or have these perceptions of how it should be, but really, they are fake. We only can do what we do. No limits.

My family dynamics, having changed so much over the last 3 years, have really given me a lot of freedom to do what I want. I have no expectations from them anymore or them of me.

I like the sound of this guy. I should read his books. Yeah, why hold ourselves back? Let's live the lives we want to have!

You inspire me a lot in this regard.

Kate said...

I love nose rings! Do it.

Hixx said...

Ah you ladies are the greatest. Thank you.

ERICA...I'm chatting you right now, I want to hear about the tat...wait, no, I'm going to check your blog first.

Thanks girls! I think I'm gunna..