Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Docent You Love It?

To the stranger who took care of me this morning….thank you.

Ever had that happen? Stranger does something for you that you never asked for and never saw coming? It can change your faith in mankind.

My docent party last night was a riot, a total riot. I mean, you all know that I am pretty much the youngest docent by about 30 years right? There are a few of us that are young(er), but generally, the docents are mostly 65 and up, which is great, I love that.

So last night’s party was on the rooftop of the Santa Fe Building, this building is pretty much right across the street from the Art Institute, beautiful old Burnham building and they have a little party room and deck up top. The view was EXTRAORDINARY, the night was astounding and looking out over Millennium Park, way up high, seeing the new Renzo Piano bridge and addition to the Art Institute, the trees, the green, the blue of the lake, the tiny sailboats, ahhh…just lovely.

Then we listened to a lecture from an architecture firm that’s designing a whole new riverfront path (it is awesome) and the docents let loose, here is a sampling of the inane questions:

1. Can you tell me how tall the trees are? Because if the trees are too tall in that park it will cover the bottom of the building that we sometimes talk about (yes, like this is what city planners are worried about…yeesh)

2. I’m worried about all kinds of pollution, but the worst kind is noise pollution, can you promise that the new restaurants are not going to play music on the river? It’s very distracting while I’m giving my tour(Are you KIDDING ME? Welcome to the city. My lord. I personally have not noticed this “noise pollution” on my own tours)

And my favorite of the night:

3. How are you going to make sure this doesn’t become Bourbon Street?

?????

Anyway, hilarious. I love the docents.

Then we watched Michelle, I thought she was good, a little…robotic, but I liked her. I’m extremely interested in seeing Hill tonight and am ready for the huge show of support she’ll receive and deserves, and then I am ready to see her put out for Obama. And then I will be ready to see Mr. Clinton put out for Obama. And then I will relish in their power and their glory. Okay?

Tonight I go for a dress fitting….I’ll just let that sit there.

Then for cheeseburgers with our officiant. It’s a pretty night for cheeseburgers.

1 comment:

wafelenbak said...

Oooh, your party sounds like it was lovely. :) (aside from the inane questions--*giggle*)