Thursday, June 09, 2011

A Secret Huge Sigh of Relief

Alright, let's just admit it.

I needed this. It's a review for my book from the Chicago Reader.

Now, I've been learning to not let reviews get the better of me. I've been fortunate to have some really nice reviews of my work on tours. Those are really nice, but here's the thing: I know I'm good at giving tours. That's why I like it. It's something that doesn't confuse me or astound me or make me feel badly ever. Tours are things I know I can do well, so they're enjoyable for me.

Writing.

Whole different scenario. Sure, I've done my Nanowrimo (FOUR times) but before this book I'd never really written anything, always thought maybe I could, but I wasn't sure.

Even during the writing of this book, I enjoyed it, I figured it was okay...but I wasn't sure.

And my friends and you lovely people have read the book and I figured you weren't lying when you said you enjoyed it, but you love me, you wouldn't want to hurt me, so if you didn't like it you would never say so.

This was my first objective review. I don't the fellow who wrote it and I had no idea they were even reviewing it. It was a total shock yesterday when I saw it.

And I was so SO pleased.

And I was so pleased because yes, I had my ego stroked, he liked the book.

But what it means is, I'm not way off base here.

Someone I don't know liked my book.

You know what that means?

I'm on the right track. I can write more.

I want to write more.

I wasn't waiting for permission necessarily, I don't do that anymore, but I was waiting to make sure I wasn't one of those people on Idol who loves to sing, is passionate about it and believes so completely that they're going to get on, and then, they're awful.

I was almost sure I wasn't one of those people, but they're sure they're not one of those people so...

At least, at the very least, now I know I'm not one. I made it to the next round.

Harder than saying I'm an actor, a performer, an entrepreneur, the hardest of all of this is saying:

I am a writer.

2 comments:

Melisa Wells said...

*applause*

YAY YOU!

You're doing it! :)

Erica said...

Amazing. I am SO impressed. But not at all surprised. :)
xo