Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Romantic

A little more explanation on the kids thing, because it's popping up so much lately. I think really young kids are hard no matter what, unless it's a tour that relates to them directly. But once a kid hits about 9 or 10, I think I can try and find a way to make it interesting for them. Steel helped prove that they can have a good time on my tour and I like that.

Thinking about this, the thing that I really need from tourees is a sense of romanticism. As long as you're old enough to kind of feel that, I think you can enjoy the tour.

Because that's what it's about for me, so much. Chicago's history is romantic and violent and dirty and base and elevated and beautiful and horrific. If one is not old enough yet to appreciate a dirty, drunk, Louis Sullivan dying alone after creating the greatest masterpieces of all time - well then, I'm not really sure what to do next.

It's a good lesson for me, all these kids (I have 6 more tomorrow), to figure out a way to appeal to a larger audience, to not make my tours about ME, but to be able to change and adapt and figure out what appeals to a larger base.

This week has been a good lesson for me.

I think I may write about this over at Chicago Elevated actually...

thanks lil blog.

1 comment:

Melisa Wells said...

"Thanks lil blog": hahahaha!

Thank YOU, because I really needed a laugh today. :)
xoxo