Friday, March 20, 2009

The NEW economy

Sorry I even said that title, but so be it.

In this NEW economy what I hope will happen is a sort of survival of the fittest. Everyone is so discerning with their money now, it behooves us to spend it in places that deserve it. What I hope is that the crappy businesses or heavily corporate businesses will lose out a little to the moms and pops.

When we were in Thailand we caught ourselves going to 7-11's all the time. 7-11's are EVERYWHERE in Thailand, sometimes two on the same block. Since it's so familiar and they're everywhere and they seem like home, it just made sense we kept going in there. Then a couple days in we realized what we were doing and started going to the thai privately owned places instead. They deserve our money more than 7-11.

So for the past week I've been going to this Dunkin' Donuts downtown, it's downstairs and there are a couple of other restaurants down there. But everyone always goes to the Dunkin Donuts. I go there for bagels and next to the Dunky is this privately owned Indian type place. They have falafel and babaganush and all that stuff, but they also have bagels. So I went there one day instead of Dunkys, forcing myself to try a different route, thinking I might just die if I don't go to Dunkin' Donuts, what about consistency?

I went to the little Indian place and got the best bagel ever. And they have tasters! Bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, bagels with cream cheese, cookies, all sorts of yummy things to nosh on while you wait. I've been back there a few times since, watching the suckers in line at Dunkin's. And yesterday when I went I had to wait about two seconds longer than usual, the cashier was making a smoothie for someone else. So I noshed on the taster bacon egg and cheese, totally happy to wait. And the guy brought me the rest of the smoothie and told me he was sorry for the wait.

So nice, so appreciative. And the bagels are delicious. The little Indian place gets my business from now on.

3 comments:

wafelenbak said...

Good lesson. However, you will have to pry my Starbucks from my cold, dead hands. ;)

smussyolay said...

yeah, there was this stupid ass email going around about how the stimulus package was going to end up back in china because people were going to spend it at wal-mart or whatever ... and i wrote back ... not if you support local businesses! not if you go out to local restaurants! not if you support people who hire your neighbors and friends.

i hated to be a killjoy on the 'joke' email, but it's like ... think about it. we all can do our part.

i'm hungry.

Hixx said...

Fair enough Waflen, fair enough.

Yeah, I'm just not sure what else to do besides spend my money elsewhere.

Ain't no one dethroning the Burger King though.