Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Media Update

I have a lot to talk about today.

First of all, not to um…you know…point out how awesome I am or anything, but take a gander over there at the six mile run. I think I’ve figured it out by the way, run far enough from home that you don’t have any way to get back besides run home. I hurt some today for sure, but man oh man, 6 miles, AND, it’s the fastest I’ve gone in one of “longer” runs, so I’m pleased.

Anyway, I wanted to mention two things here:

Friday Night Lights was awesome on Friday. I just watched it last night and I laughed and cried and laughed and cried again. There was one particular move that just killed me, and it was when Tami was pulling away from Coach when he came in on her and the young teacher guy on the couch. And Coach was trying to sweet talk her about dinner and she pulled away from him, saying she had bad onion breath…it was such a familiar move, a familiar emotion and just so well done. I laughed out loud with Saracen’s “So was it Cabo in your pants?” to Smash. And then cried again when Coach and Tami tried to talk to each other and he told her he missed her. Oh my lord. And I loved Landry’s walk into the police station. I’m going to download that song tonight. I’m just glad to see that it’s coming back, I really loved this ep and I hope there are more like it.

Maybe this should be going in I’m So Hot Thursdays, but last night I watched “Super Skinny Me”. It was on the BBC and it was like a Morgan Spurlock thing. Two women journalists went on horrible diets for a month to see what would happen. And really, it was totally fascinating. One woman was 37 and single; one was 29 and lived with her boyfriend. What was so amazing was to watch the 37 year old slide into sickness. In the beginning, she’s this smart, sassy, single lady and by the end of three weeks they had to take her off the diets because she was binge eating, she was taking laxatives (no one asked her to do that for her diets) and she got way way way wound up in it. The 29 year old kept her a head a bit more (living with someone has to help I think) but they were basically starving themselves, and she admitted that she couldn’t think anymore, that she felt awful, and of course, when they could both eat again, they yo yo’d and gained a lot of weight quickly. It was really really interesting to watch how/where/when they sank into obsession and losing weight, when really, neither one of them cared much before. Oh, and to start with, both were completely healthy and had no weight issues at all, both exercised before I think too. I can’t really find anything online about it except a couple of “day after” mentions, but try to catch it on BBC; it is really fascinating and not junk journalism.

That’s about it, I have my own addiction questions I’m asking myself and figuring out, but we’ll go into that more on Thursday.

Oh, one more thing, Rudolph is on tonight, I’m tivo’ing, but did you know that Rudolph was started in the Montgomery Wards catalog? Yup, advertising campaign. TRUE STORY.

3 comments:

smussyolay said...

there were like three on, though, right? there was the one with the heat miser (did you tivo that? my friend jen and i couldn't remember the story with the heat-y one and the icy one) and there was this one called 'rudolph and the new year or some shit' and then this other one called 'rudolph and the land of the misfit toys' but it was year 2003 or something and jen said it was an abomination and it was some rick moranis animation fuckall or something.

what happened to the cool burl ives cool claymation one where rudolph ends UP with the misfit toys but it's just called 'rudolph the red-nosed reindeer?'

and what about the cool claymation 'frosty the snowman?' i guess that was the one with the claymation snowman burl ives. anyway ... what was the one with the abominable snowman that has a toothache or something?

man, this needs its own blog post. sorry. you're just my tv lady.

Hixx said...

Smuss!

Heat Miser is from The Year Without a Santa Claus, not shown so much I don't think.

The cool Burl Ives one is the one on tonight that I'm tivo'ing, that's Herbie not wanting to be an elf:

"Don't you want to be an elf?"

"No Sir, I just want to be a dentist".

And the abominable snowman and misfit toys, like the Charlie in the Box.

Frosty was a cartoon, but there is a claymation snowman in the Rudolph claymation, he's kinda the host for the evening.

Come to me with any more questions on childish things.

wafelenbak said...

Congrats on the very long run!! I cannot imagine running for an hour. Maybe the whole "run too far from home" thing is the answer! :)