Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hanging with Chad

I’ve often pondered the way of the Trixie.

I’ve lived in Chicago most of my life, was raised in the best of the Trixie breeding grounds (the North Shore), and in college, I joined a very Trixie sorority.

In short, I understand the Trixie.

I am a Trixie. To some degree. And I’m not ashamed, I’m really not, I speak the language, I can make friends with them, I generally like the same music as them, and most of all…I dress like them.

The Trixie way of dressing is pretty simple. You must shop at the Gap. That’s about it. Variations can come in the form of accessories, boots, belts, bags, but essentially, in every corner of Trixie-land, the dress code for Summer/Spring/Winter or Fall is as follows:

A black top with jeans.

Now the black top can be sleeveless, or poofy, or low-cut, a peasant top, or a turtleneck. The jeans can be fancy “7” jeans, or your garden-variety Gap low-waist, boot-cut (my personal preference) jean.

The trick is not in being original, this isn’t NYC, if you spend any time looking at Chicago fashion, you will know there really is no such thing as “fashion” in the City of Big Shoulders. The trick of the Trixie is, who is pulling off the black top/jean combination the best.

And part of that is not looking mortified when you see everyone else at the bar wearing the exact same thing you are. You must stand in your black Nine West boots with your head held high; your shoulder-length hair with blonde highlights brushing effortlessly across your shoulders, your perfect muted brown eye-shadow and lightly applied mascara flittering flirtatiously at the nearby standing Chads.

You cannot back down, you cannot be embarrassed, you cannot show fear.

Stick out your chest, apply your lip-gloss, head on over to Cubby Bear and get yourself a Miller Lite. Oh and stand up straight, cause that girl over there doesn't look nearly as cute in her jeans and black top as you do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that post, Miss Margaret!
:-)
it's funny- I used to think I was so different from the people I went to college with. Then when I went back for my reunion I realized that I was dressed just like them, wearing the same amount of makeup- everything! I am SO typical of a Middlebury graduate!It's okay- I'm kind of proud to have gone there. But it's also pretty funny!
Meredith

Anonymous said...

My Trixie outfit? Turtleneck with locket coming out over the neck.

James

Hixx said...

James, that turtleneck look with the locket is so 1980s!

Meredith, I know! See? We're all just like everyone else.

Be proud!