Thursday, August 31, 2006

GOT IT!

Whew, it’s been a whirlwind.

I just finished Motherless Brooklyn which I really loved. It’s a great book; funny, sad, endearing, amazing…I really liked it and highly recommend it.

Now that I’ve started doing the Chicagoist Books & Literature thing, it’s amazing to me how books are becoming like movies or TV shows to me. When I read what I chose to read, or before I started reading with such a critical eye, I read the books I knew were good.

I especially loved the classics for that reason. I knew Great Expectations would be wonderful, or Madame Bovary, or The Brothers Karamazov, so I read them on purpose. I wasn’t a crazy new-fiction reader, because it’s a crapshoot, you never know what you’re going to get.

So now I read a lot more contemporary fiction and most of it? Meh. Meh. Meh. Meh. I mean, they’re good, they’re fine and its way more writing then I do, but most of it doesn’t blow me away. Not like it did when I was reading the books I KNEW were good.

So Motherless Brooklyn, read it, get it, and read it again.

I said in one my comments about it that I was sad I was almost finished with it.

But I’m sad no longer.

Because I’m really so freaking excited to start reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. I've been waiting to read this book since I wrote this piece on Chicagoist, this was in March, so yes, a long time I wait.

This is the first time in a long time that I’m really excited about a new book. I just got it today, I’m almost afraid to start reading it.

Pessl is a first time author, she’s really pretty, and this book is all about the hype. It’s supposed to be a lot like The Secret History by Donna Tartt, which was one of the most fun reads ever.

I gotta go, I have 500 pages to get through in 24 hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, do I love The Secret History. My friend Carrie and I used to make people read it in college. They'd think we were crazy until they'd read it and then they'd be hooked with the brilliance that was The Secret History. Carrie kept waiting for someone to turn it into a movie. I never understood why they didn't option that into a movie. Would have been a good one.

FOSCO said...

I agree with Megan-I used to do the same thing in college. And it's true: Pessl's book is a lot like it, with some Lolita thrown in. I'm thinking about buying a box of copies of Calamity Physics and handing them out to everyone I love. :)

Hixx said...

I love A Secret History, great book.

So far Calamity is awesome, although it makes me feel ridiculously stupid.